The birth of a legend
An internationally renowned restaurant establishes itself ...
The mid-1800s was a period of renewal and transformation for the city of Zurich. The area where the Limmat River flowed from Lake Zurich was filled in with topsoil and the newly recovered land opened for development, creating the Bellevue area as we know it today. It is here in 1862 where a dining establishment was built that continues to write culinary and cultural history to this very day. The Kronenhalle.
Hulda and Gottlieb Zumsteg became the new owners of the Kronenhalle in 1925. The hard-working couple diligently transformed it into one of the city’s finest restaurants, serving their guests a distinctive combination of Swiss, Bavarian and classic cuisine. They also became famous far and wide for the steadily growing collection of fine art paintings adorning the walls of their restaurant. Gustav Zumsteg, their son, is the one responsible for the impressive art collection. The Kronenhalle became a meeting point for actors, painters, writers … and the world of elegance and opulence.
Hulda Zumsteg and her son Gustav possessed remarkable skills as restaurateurs. They created a truly distinctive restaurant with an enviable reputation. It was under the guidance of Gustav that the Kronenhalle acquired world fame. To ensure that its exacting standards and its raison d’être would be maintained in future years the Kronenhalle was transferred to a foundation, the “Hulda und Gustav Zumsteg-Stiftung”. The Kronenhalle will remain what it was: one of the most famous restaurants in the world.